Re: TODO additions

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: TODO additions
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 12:18:08 -0500

    >     * Use automake and use autoconf fully, preferably avoiding src/{m,s}
    >       entirely.  [Maintaining the build process _is_ a major problem.]
    >
    > I don't think this would make it easier.  It might be harder,
    > because it would require solving every problem in a general way.

    The whole point is to use general solutions, most of which are already
    available and easy to follow.

When Autoconf handles a specific issue, it is a good idea to switch
over to using Autoconf to handle it.  But I'd be extremely surprised
if Autoconf handled all the issues that Emacs needs to know about.

To implement an Autoconf test for any given issue might be easy or it
might be hard.  Even when it seems easy enough to write the Autoconf
test, verifying that it really tests the right thing is substantial
effort.  This is not worth the trouble, when the code is stable
and not giving us trouble.