Re: Emacs in CVS as today does not build - emacs depends on *.elc, which

From: Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen
Subject: Re: Emacs in CVS as today does not build - emacs depends on *.elc, which cannot be built without emacs
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 09:34:05 +0100

Stefan Monnier wrote:

What I'm wondering is: when you tried to build Emacs, it should
have told you "use make bootstrap" or something like that.
Did it ?  Or did you simply not pay attention ?
Thank you for your explanation.

The mac/INSTALL file says

You should be able to build Emacs on Mac OS X by typing the following
commands at the top-level directory after the source distribution is
un-tarred.

  ./configure
  make
  make install

The last step must be performed as root.

The "make bootstrap" is mentioned in passing a bit further down.

I probably should not have thought that Emacs was like everything else, so I should have read all the various documents more carefully before plunging in the mindless "configure; make" cycle. Credits for the GNU organization for making it so - in the "good" old days, you had to read everything and adapt Makefiles carefullly before even thinking of typing make.

I'll get back to testing the Aqua Emacs and keeping an eye on this list.

--
 Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen      Scandiatransplant
                              Skejby Sygehus, indgang 3