Re: last try (was: while-no-input)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: last try (was: while-no-input)
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 10:07:57 -0500

    I looked at ange-ftp and it does indeed use unwind-protect in many
    places, but it also has this code:
     (condition-case ... (quit (delete-procss ...))).

I think you mean this code:

      (quit
       ;; If the user does quit out of this,
       ;; kill the process.  That stops any transfer in progress.
       ;; The next operation will open a new ftp connection.
       (delete-process proc)
       (signal 'quit nil)))))

This code was clearly meant to respond to C-g in particular, and I
think this code should NOT respond to arrival of input even if the
operation is inside of while-no-input.  So I think this instance
supports my feeling that this should not use the `quit' signal.

Using part of the quit mechanism in the C code is a convenient way to
implement while-no-input, but conceptually it is a separate feature
with nothing to do with quitting.