Re: Two changes to tooltip.el (proposal)

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Two changes to tooltip.el (proposal)
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 23:33:32 +0000

 > > (defun tooltip-identifier-from-point (point)
 > >   "Extract the identifier at POINT, if any."
 > >   (save-excursion
 > >     (goto-char point)
 > >     (gud-find-c-expr)))
 >
 > Maybe this would be safer:
 >
 >         (if (fboundp 'gud-find-c-expr)
 >             (gud-find-c-expr)
 >           ... old tooltip-identifier-from-point code goes here ...
 >           )

`tooltip-identifier-from-point' is only used by gud so `gud-find-c-expr'
will always be defined. Actually, I think the functions that provide
the tooltips for gud should be should really be in gud.el.

 > I haven't been able to find any documentation on the "server" prefix;
 > what does it mean?  Is it related to the gdbserver program?  In that
 > case, does it change the semantics of the print command so that
 > debugging a program via gdbserver may not work properly with the change?
 >
 > Even if it is harmless, are you sure "server print" is supported by
 > all gdb versions (do we care -- probably most systems running emacs 21.x
 > also have a fairly new version of gdb ?)

The server prefix is described in the Annotations section of the Gdb info
pages.  Annotations have been around for a long time so I presume the server
prefix has too. Eli could probably tell you more.

It has nothing to do with the gdbserver program as far as I know.

Nick