Re: expressions

From: Bob Halley
Subject: Re: expressions
Date: 06 Jan 2003 12:32:50 -0800

chad <address@hidden> writes:

> I would expect that the reason /tmp was chosen was the inability of some
> systems to create sockets in NFS/AFS/SFS/Coda/whatever remote filesystem
> that the suer might be using for $HOME.  I suspect that this might still
> be a problem.  The ssh/openssh technique involves creating a directory
> in $TMPDIR named ssh-$unique (with other refinements that I think do not
> apply).  Perhaps this would be a safer strategy?

Good point, though we don't want a unique name like SSH since we're
trying to rendezvous on the name.  I tested creating sockets on an NFS
mounted directory with Solaris and it worked, but I have no idea what
happens with other platforms or filesystem types.

So, if we're using /tmp, and want to keep the UID in there for reasons
RMS explained in another message, maybe we want something like

        /tmp/.eserv-<UID>-<HOSTNAME>/server

which should cover us against pretty much everything :).

/Bob