Re: iso-8859-1 and non-latin-1 chars

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: iso-8859-1 and non-latin-1 chars
Date: 06 Jan 2003 19:18:29 +0000

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:

> > No, it should use a general coding system to store all
> > text.
>
> If that is possible (i.e. users allows that), yes.

They should not change it, but...  (BBDB originally had no encoding
support, and some people took part of my advice to add .bbdb to
`file-coding-system-alist', but chose to ignore the actual coding
system :-(.)

> But, why calling select-safe-coding-system is not good?

It's not relevant.  You need to be able to store all text in the file,
not just Latin-1 names, for instance.  It's the same issue as for
auto-save files &c.