Workaround for kpathsea problem with carbon Emacs on OS X

From: William McCallum
Subject: Workaround for kpathsea problem with carbon Emacs on OS X
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 18:37:18 -0800

For a long time I have been having a problem that when I invoke tex related programs from within carbon emacs (such as latex or xdvi, using auctex) they fail to find certain files. This seems always a result of a failure in kpathsea, the file-searching program used by my implementation of TeX. I do not have the same problem when I use Emacs under X, called from the command line. So it seems that carbon emacs fails to pass on some key environment variable to kpathsea (I was never able to figure out which ... I did try putting various different settings in ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist).

I just discovered that if I call carbon Emacs from the command line (i.e., type in /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs at the command prompt), rather than starting the application in the usual way, then the problems go away in carbon emacs as well. I am happy to have discovered this work-around, but it would be nice to have a way of having the application itself properly inherit all the environment variables of the user who opens it.

I am using emacs 21.3.50, from cvs a couple of weeks ago.

Regards,
                Bill McCallum

(520) 621 6697
http://www.math.arizona.edu/~wmc