Re: [ANNOUNCE] XSLT-process 2.2 available

From: Ovidiu Predescu
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] XSLT-process 2.2 available
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 08:40:44 -0800

On Monday, Jan 20, 2003, at 07:54 US/Pacific, address@hidden wrote:

You also have to realize XSLT-process depends on open-source software,
    but not free-software.

Program that are open-source but not free are very rare.
This could be a misunderstanding.  Could you show us the licenses
of some of these programs, so we can check if they are free
software licenses?

(You can also check for yourself--see
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html and
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html).

The Apache XML Project page says that their code is released under the
ASF Source Code License, which appears to be the Apache Software
License.  This makes it a free software license, but incompatible
with the GNU GPL.

Thanks for the clarification, Michael. This is exactly what I was referring to by making the distinction between the two licenses.

Most of the code used by XSLT-process is released under ASL, while Saxon and its components are released under MPL and a BSD-like license:

http://saxon.sourceforge.net/saxon6.5.2/conditions.html

I don't have any problem with such licenses, but they may create a problem if we try to incorporate them as part of Emacs.

Best regards,
Ovidiu