Re: Fwd: Jan's Gtk CVS notifications...?

From: Jaime E . Villate
Subject: Re: Fwd: Jan's Gtk CVS notifications...?
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 00:51:47 +0000

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 10:36:01PM +0100, Jan D. wrote:

> Possibly interesting information.
>
> > Från: huug <address@hidden>
> > Till: address@hidden
> >
> > It - and emacs-diff too - has only recent entries from the people
> > *not* yet using cvsroot.  In other words, the mailing lists where
> > forgotten in the conversion.

Hi Jan,
You're absolutely right; Från has discovered the source of the problem and
I think I've finally solved it.

Let me explain what the problem was: on September 20th RMS reported a problem
with emacs-commit because he suddenly stopped getting CVS commit
notifications.  After noticing in the archives for emacs-commit that
notification messages were being sent, I concluded that RMS might have been
taken out of that list for bouncing problems from the list. RMS doubted that
was the problem because he had just received a message confirming his
registration in the list. At the same time someone said in Savannah that the
arguments passed to the commit notification script in CVSROOT/loginfo should
be enclosed inside apostrophes. I did that on September 25th and then I
subscribed to emacs-commit to verify that I received commit notification
messages so I thought the problem was solved. (see the tread starting in
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers/2002-09/msg00750.html)

I should have noticed it did not make sense because if loginfo was wrong,
there should be no messages in emacs-commit before September 25th. On the
other hand, I should have suspected something strange was going on during the
2 months I subscribed emacs-commit, because all messages received were from
only 3 authors: Kenichi Handa, Juanma Barranquero and Kim F. Storm.

Now everything makes sense. /cvs/CVSROOT/loginfo was correct, but
the extra apostrophes in /cvsroot/emacs/CVSROOT/loginfo resulted in no
arguments being passed to the e-mail notification script (log_accum) and
therefore no e-mail notifications being sent.

I apologize for my mistake and I think you should start receiving e-mail
notifications for the next commits. If you don't, please let me know.

Cheers,
Jaime