Re: C-h k, C-h f and keyboard macros: Patch.

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: C-h k, C-h f and keyboard macros: Patch.
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 15:07:33 +0100

On 11 Feb 2003 15:13:47 +0100, address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) wrote:

> you are trying to run (key-binding [remap [home]] nil t)
> which correctly reports a "Key sequence contains invalid event"
> error (but only when there are any remap entries in one of the
> active keymaps -- as there are when you enable cua-mode).

Oh, I don't doubt you're right, but, from the point of view of a user,
it's weird that asking for a remaping says nil when there aren't remap
entries, and error when there are...

> The problem I can see is that remap-command expects a SYMBOL as the
> argument.  All callers in C checks for this, but from Lisp, there is
> no such check.  I'll add one.

Thanks.

> So
>
> > ELISP> (cua-mode 1)
> > ELISP> (remap-command [home])
>
> should have failed with a "wrong type argument" error.

This will make Luc's patch fail for me...

> But how was this related to the C-h k macro patch??

After Luc's (or your's) patch, with cua-mode enabled, if I do:

[f3] "pepe" home [f4]     ; define macro that inserts "pepe" and goes to
                          ; the beginning of line
C-x C-k b M-z             ; assign it to M-z
C-h k M-z                 ; see it

I get "Key sequence contains invalid event", not the C-h k output.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u