Re: Bug Emacs 21.3: write-file downcasing

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl
Subject: Re: Bug Emacs 21.3: write-file downcasing
Date: 12 Feb 2003 15:57:09 +0100

Hi Andreas,

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:

> Benjamin Riefenstahl <address@hidden> writes:
> |> We could conclude that the problem is not easily solved on
> |> GNU/Linux, or that it can only be solved with a user setting, but
> |> the situation on MacOSX is still pretty clear.
>
> Is it?  MacOSX also has UFS, and NFS is case-sensitive as well.

But Apple discourages UFS.  They don't even guarantee that all MacOSX
components work on UFS so it is pretty unlikely.  NFS is
case-sensitive for Windows clients as well, so that's not the point.
Or rather it was my point some messages back for a slightly different
question ;-).

If I see this right, the common user on MacOSX works on HFS+,
AppleTalk (plain Mac shops) or SMB volumes (corporate users), all
case-insensitive.  The common user on GNU/Linux works on ext2, ext3,
NFS (case-sensitive), some have secondary volumes on FAT and SMB
(case-insensitive).  Seeing your affiliation you probably have better
data on GNU/Linux users ;-).

so long, benny