Re: proposed patch to expand-abbrev in abbrev.c

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: proposed patch to expand-abbrev in abbrev.c
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 05:07:59 -0500

    My previous suggestion was that save-abbrevs's options not change, and
    abbrevs-changed would be set to 'trivially if abbrevs had changed trivially
    only (only the use count).

I did misunderstand that.

                               this would require a lot of options for saving
    abbrevs however. I think you mean to have save-abbrevs have an extra option
    of 'trivially but this is ambiguous as to whether it's silent or not.

Yes, that's what I meant and what I thought you meant too.  But both
ideas make sense together.  A value of `trivially' for
`abbrevs-changed' could be used to implement support for this value of
`save-abbrevs'.

By the way, please keep in mind for the doc strings that we do not
use the convention of writing a ' in front of a symbol name
in English text.  Our convention is to put `...' around it.