Re: Can we add a check to see if user is using old or obsolete code?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Can we add a check to see if user is using old or obsolete code?
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 19:28:01 -0500

On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 12:20:32AM +0100, Kim F. Storm wrote:
> > (Remember that error messages should not end with periods.)
>
> I know the general rule, but for a multi-sentence error message, it
> seems strange not to terminate the last sentence with a period.

Sometimes for e.g., a two-sentence message, you can just use a semicolon to
make them into one sentence -- and then leave off the period.  :-)

> Since I will except that MANY users upgrading to 21.4 will be using
> older versions of CUA, I decided to give a more elaborate error
> message.  Here is the complete text:

Are you popping that message up in a window, instead of showing it in the
echo-area?  That seems like a different case than a standard error-message
anyway (and certainly for what you showed, it would be silly to leave off the
final period!).

-Miles
--
A zen-buddhist walked into a pizza shop and
said, "Make me one with everything."