Re: directory-files and Tramp

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: directory-files and Tramp
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 13:23:09 +0100

Lars Hansen <address@hidden> writes:

> Tramp is not handling the call (directory-files directory) when
> directory is relative and default-directory a Tramp file.
> I beleive the problem can be fixed with the following patch:
>
> diff -c dired-original.c dired.c
> *** dired-original.c    Tue Feb  4 15:03:12 2003
> --- dired.c    Fri Feb 21 21:07:26 2003
> ***************
> *** 346,351 ****
> --- 346,353 ----
>   {
>     Lisp_Object handler;
>  +   directory = Fexpand_file_name (directory, Qnil);
> +
>     /* If the file name has special constructs in it,
>        call the corresponding file handler.  */
>     handler = Ffind_file_name_handler (directory, Qdirectory_files);

I think it looks good: in the no-handler case, directory_files calls
directory_files_internal, which in turn calls expand-file-name on the
directory.  So expand-file-name is called anyway.

But should the expand-file-name call in directory_files_internal be
removed after making sure that all callers do the expansion?