Re: Malayalam rendering

From: Ramakrishnan M
Subject: Re: Malayalam rendering
Date: 24 Feb 2003 11:32:51 +0530

 || On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 14:45:24 +0900 (JST)
 || Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> wrote:

 kh>    http://fsf.org.in/projects/malayalam-gpl/gpl-ml-unicode-pre.txt
 kh> I checked the contents.  Those empty boxes are ZWJ
 kh> characters.  But, it seems strange that we need so many ZWJ
 kh> for Malayalam writing.

One issue is that the Malayalam section as it is, now in the Unicode
standard has problems. There is a set of 5 characters called "Chillaksharam"
which are not there in the standard. TDIL (some organization in Govt of India
which does language related work) has proposed some new changes, which
sort of, solves this issue. So current tools handle "chillaksharams" is their
own non-standard way. One way is <base char>+<halant>+<ZWJ>. This might be a
reason you see alot of ZWJ in that text. I may be wrong though...

--
    Ramakrishnan M              (http://www.hackGNU.org/)
    Use Free Software -- Help stamp out Software Hoarding!