Re: file-relative-name and remote files

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: file-relative-name and remote files
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 13:35:28 -0500

> > I can't remember, but I think it has a similar meaning as the "//" special
> > case on some other systems.  Both "//" and "/.." are not required to be
> > the same as "/" according to POSIX.
>
> CMU CS used to have a remote filesystem that used `/..' as a meta-root
> (I think it was developed as part of the spice project [precursor of mach]).
> I'm not sure if that's still used anywhere though.

IIRC it was called RFS (remote file system) and basically behaved
more or less like the typical /net thingy, although the underlying
system was different.
IIRC Domain OS (i.e. Apollo's operating system) also had something
special for /.. but since I've never used such a system I'd be surprised
to remember correctly.

        Stefan