Re: proposed new variable `emacs-lisp-docstring-fill-column'

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: proposed new variable `emacs-lisp-docstring-fill-column'
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 10:07:15 -0500

    Why can't they set fill-column in their emacs-lisp-mode-hook ?
    It looks to me like an unnecessary customization variable.

This feature is good to enable by default.
It is better to implement it directly, not thru a hook.

    I don't like this change because docstrings shouldn't be
    limted to 65 chars.

This won't limit them, it will just normally fill them to 65 chars.
Longer lines than that are not a good idea except in special
circumstances, and in those special circumstances, you can simply
avoid filling.