Re: some dired hints should be background jobs

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: some dired hints should be background jobs
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 19:16:10 -0600 (CST)

To avoid confusion, the command I was talking about in my previous
postings could not possibly be used as a default for ! in dired-x,
since it would be an Elisp command, not a shell command.  I do not
view the problem as being about what the correct default for ! in
dired-x should be, but instead about what the most convenient (and
portable) way to launch programs like xpdf and friends, in the
background, from dired should be.  As such, I am thinking of either
changing dired's `v' binding to launch the commands asynchronously
instead of synchronously, or of introducing a separate binding, say
M-RETURN, for the asynchronous version of the current `v'.