Re: Customize Rogue

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Customize Rogue
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 19:03:01 +0100

On Sun, 9 Mar 2003 11:16:08 -0600 (CST), Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> wrote:

> It seems to me that in the above example you are not at all trying to
> get around roadblocks put in your way by customize

No. I'm trying to get around the fact that I have to go through
the customize interface (or fake it) to get the effect of customization.
And what I want is to get them without going through the interface.

> The reason to disable
>
> (setq inhibit-startup-echo-area-message (user-login-name))
>
> is out of fear that somebody else might blindly copy your .emacs.

I know that.

> (custom-setq inhibit-startup-echo-area-message (user-login-name))
>
> would not get around that problem.

Wouldn't? The custom-setq I'm talking about would have the *exact*
semantics of doing M-x customize-variable MY-VAR, setting the value to
VALUE and then chosing "Save for Future Sessions"... So it would, by
definition.

> Of course, you may be confident that nobody is going to blindly copy
> your .emacs.

Really, the fact that I've chosen inhibit-startup-echo-area-message for
the example is irrelevant.

> I am not necessarily saying that you do not have a point, only that if
> you do, your example seems badly chosen.  (Unless I am completely
> misunderstanding it.)

The first one that crossed my mind. But what about those variables whose
docstring says "Setting this variable directly will have no effect, you
have to use customize"...? I want to have the option of setting the
variable directly and getting the customization effect.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u