Re: ISO-8859-1 encoded file names and UTF-8

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: ISO-8859-1 encoded file names and UTF-8
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 22:33:35 +0900 (JST)

I'm sorry for the late response.  Before providing a solution, I had
to fix some fundamental problems about filename handling.

In article <address@hidden>, Karl Eichwalder <address@hidden> writes:

> UTF-8 Emacs sometimes fails to manage ISO-8859-1 file names.  I do not
> know how you can rename or convert these file name from ISO-8859-1 to
> UTF-8 encoded names using Emacs.

Hmmm, I think it's a completely overlooked but important feature.

> I created some ISO-8859-1 encoded file names (on top of the ext2 file
> system).  Start a UTF-8 Emacs:

>     LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 emacs

> Call dired on the directory containing these files; you will see
> something like (attention, Emacs/Gnus will normalize the names when I
> send the mail!):
[...]
> Note, the buffer is marked "-u" in the modeline.

> Now go to a file name with umlauts and press 'f' to visit the file:

> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "File no longer exists; type `g' to
> update Dired buffer")

This problem should be fixed now in HEAD.  Please try again after
updating from CVS.

Anyway, how about the attached function for changing the encoding of a
filename.  I have not yet installed it because I have not yet found an
answer to this question.

Should the recoding of filename regarded as a kind of file name
changing?  If so, perhaps we should make the function rename-file to
handle also recoding.   In that case, how should we tell rename-file
to actually recode filename encoding?

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden

(defun recode-file (file coding new-coding &optional ok-if-already-exists)
  (interactive
   (let* ((default
            (or file-name-coding-system default-file-name-coding-system))
          (filename
           (read-file-name "Recode file: " nil nil t))
          (from-coding
           (if (and default
                    ;; We provide the default coding only when it
                    ;; seems that the filename is correctly decoded by
                    ;; the default coding.
                    (let ((charsets (find-charset-string filename)))
                      (and (not (memq 'eight-bit-control charsets))
                           (not (memq 'eight-bit-graphic charsets)))))
               (read-coding-system
                (format "Recode file %s from coding (default %s): "
                        filename default)
                default)
             (read-coding-system
              (format "Recode file %s from coding: " filename))))
          (to-coding
           ;; We provide the default coding only when a user is going
           ;; to change the encoding not from the default coding.
           (if (eq from-coding default)
               (read-coding-system
                (format "Recode file %s from coding %s to coding: "
                        filename from-coding))
             (read-coding-system
              (format "Recode file %s from coding %s to coding (default %s): "
                      filename from-coding default)
              default))))
     (list filename from-coding to-coding)))
  (let* ((default
           (or file-name-coding-system default-file-name-coding-system))
         (encoded (encode-coding-string file default))
         (new-encoded (encode-coding-string
                       (decode-coding-string encoded coding) new-coding))
         (file-name-coding-system nil)
         (default-file-name-coding-system nil)
         (locale-coding-system nil))
    (rename-file encoded new-encoded ok-if-already-exists)))