remove the `bold' weight from bold fonts

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: remove the `bold' weight from bold fonts
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 20:40:02 +0000 (UTC)

--text follows this line--
Back on 19 Dec 2002, Miles Bader <address@hidden> wrote some code
to remove the `bold' weight from bold fonts.  I have been using it
ever since, because without it, with the fonts I use and the nature of
my screen, the name of this *mail* buffer is unreadable.  The `m' in
*mail* is filled in.

However, as Miles said, sometimes the code he wrote causes Emacs to
crash.  If I remember rightly, that is because of an occasional race
condition.  Mostly, over the past few months, that has not been much
of a problem, but just today, I lost several instances of Emacs,
although after my most most recent CVS update, Emacs is working
better.

Is anyone working on this problem?  It is far beyond me.

Or should I just continue with a patched emacs/src/xfaces.c file that
cannot be committed to CVS?

    http://www.teak.cc                             address@hidden