Re: Gtk scrollbar: thumb too short

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Gtk scrollbar: thumb too short
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 19:54:11 +0100 (CET)

> I understand why the scrollbar thumb is shorter than I think it
> should be: to allow for placing the last line of the buffer in the
> top line of the window.
>
> But still, I'm not so happy with the current look of the scrollbar.
> It confuses me quite a bit.  Is there no way to make the thumb extend
> to the bottom of the scrollbar area when end of buffer is visible, and
> yet to also allow scrolling further down so that the last line of the
> buffer can be moved to the top of the window?

Not really.  The code in Emacs does not specify the length of the
thumb, GTK calculates it.  Emacs tells GTK how big the buffer is, how
big a page is and where we are in the buffer.

When GTK decides that the thumb extends to the bottom it will not
emit events for anymore downwards motion with the mouse, only upwards.

The current behaviour is the same as for Emacs compiled with Motif.
To get the effect you want Emacs would have to write its own
scroll bar.  The native scroll bar does indeed do what you want.

The advantages of being able to scroll so that the last line can be moved
to the top can be questioned though.  It is not something other applications
do.  Usually when the the last line is visible the thumb is at the bottom
and you can not scroll so that the last line is moved to the top.
But there is explicit code in Emacs for this behaviour so I figured
that it had been decided some time ago.  It should perhaps be a
settable customization?

        Jan D.