Re: Emacs GTK scroll-bar flickering

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Emacs GTK scroll-bar flickering
Date: 27 Mar 2003 15:54:26 +0900

I wrote:
> I find that I can get better scrolling behavior with emacs/GTK if I
> set `redisplay-dont-pause' to t -- otherwise, if I e.g., hold down a
> scroll key (say C-v), scrolling updates the scroll bar smoothly, but
> the text window only gets updated when I stop scrolling.

This again seems to be related to the fact that my GTK theme is very
slow to draw -- if I switch to a more svelte theme, redisplay during
scrolling is `normal' regardless of the setting of redisplay-dont-pause.

I guess that even thought it seems fast enough, the theme uses enough
CPU drawing itself that emacs gets confused and suppresses the text
redisplay during scrolling.

I'd rather be consing.