Re: Gtk scrollbar: thumb too short

From: Andreas Schwab
Subject: Re: Gtk scrollbar: thumb too short
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 17:50:20 +0100

Owen Taylor <address@hidden> writes:

|> Thoughts here, in no particular order:
|>
|>  * I've always found the emacs behavior with respect to the end of the
|>    buffer quite confusing personally... I think it would be far
|>    less confusing if the region that was scrolled was actually
|>    confined to the lines of the buffer (or maybe lines in buffer + 1)

I find this behaviour very convenient when scrolling through the buffer,
because the bottom line before scrolling is always
next-screen-context-lines down the top after scrolling.  This makes it
very easy to continue reading, and it is consistent with the behaviour of
vi and less.

|>    It's very easily in emacs's default configuration currently to
|>    accidentally create text files with lots of trailing blank lines
|>    since there is no visual differentiation between blank lines and
|>    overscrolled space.

Use indicate-empty-lines.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, SuSE Labs, address@hidden
SuSE Linux AG, Deutschherrnstr. 15-19, D-90429 Nürnberg