bad interaction with C-x RET c and vc-cvs-registered

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: bad interaction with C-x RET c and vc-cvs-registered
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 11:30:05 +0900 (JST)

I've just found this problem.

If we have a UTF-16 file in a CVS working directory, and
visit that file by C-x RET c utf-16 C-x C-f FILENAME, vc-cvs
doesn't detect that file is registered in CVS.

This is because the function vc-cvs-registered is called
while coding-system-for-read being bound to utf-16, so it
reads the file "CVS/Entries" with utf-16 coding system (via
vc-insert-file), thus can't find FILENAME in that file.

I think CVS/Entries should be read with
file-name-coding-system (or
default-file-name-coding-system).   But, I'm not sure in
which function(s) we should do this something like this.
  (let ((coding-system-for-read (or file-name-coding-system
                                    default-file-name-coding-system)))
     ...)

For instance, this paticular problem is fixed by doing that
in vc-cvs-registered (vc-cvs.el).  But, the other
function(s) also read CVS/Entries.  It may be better to do
that in vc-insert-file (vc-hooks.el).

Could someone who knows those codes well work on it?

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden