Re: Gtk scrollbar: thumb too short

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Gtk scrollbar: thumb too short
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 15:30:39 -0400

> > > The 0-99 possible values for position in the document are mapped
> > > linearly onto the 0-90 possible values for the position of the
> > > slider thumb.

By whom ?  The GTK library or the client application ?
If it's done by the library, then the application doesn't even
need to care about the minimum_size, right ?

> > My point exactly:
> > for all intents and purposes (other than actual drawing on
> > the screen which you might care about but we don't), we can
> > subtract 10 from all sizes and pretend the total_size is 90
> > and minimum_size is 0 (and can thus be ignored).
>
> The difference from your computations and the GTK+ computations
> is that GTK+ only subtracts the minimum size from the total
> trough size, while you are also subtracting it from the thumb
> size.

But as long as that minimum_size is available to the client
application, the client can also do the subtraction and
forget about it.

My analysis was not meant to show how things work in GTK
but how Emacs likes to look at them.  As long as it's possible
for Emacs to look at them that way, all is fine.
The actual appearance is not really important.

        Stefan