Re: [Feature request] face property `raise'

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: [Feature request] face property `raise'
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 20:54:03 +0200

"Wedler, Christoph" <address@hidden> writes:

>  >     I would like to see a face property `raise' with the same semantics as
>  >     the display property `raise'.
>
>  > I don't think so.  Raising is not a matter of how something is
>  > displayed, but where it is displayed.
>
> Where something is displayed (at least relatively, and that's what
> `raise' is about) is a special case of how something is displayed.

It seems to me that it ought to be possible to affix `round-scripts'
to all four corners of a symbol.  For example, one would like the
effect of the TeX snippet $a^1_2$ to be possible in Emacs, too.

So I agree with Richard that it is about "where", and much less about
"how".  ({Super,sub,...}scripts are usually smaller, so that the size
could be added to "how".)

The TeX snippet shows a with a superscript 1 and a subscript 2.