Re: URL filename syntax?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: URL filename syntax?
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 16:55:24 +0200

"Ehud Karni" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 21:19:15 +0200, address@hidden (Kai
> =?iso-8859-1?q?Gro=DFjohann?=) wrote:
>>
>> Are you talking about my suggestion of changing ftp://address@hidden//foo
>> to mean the same as ftp://address@hidden/%2Ffoo, instead of
>> ftp://address@hidden/foo?
>
> No. I'm talking about the general principal - any legal URL should work
> without modification. If `wget' can transfer it, Emacs should be able
> to edit it in a buffer (It may be read only).
> e.g. https://www.name.tld/foo/bar.html

Maybe Tramp does not support http and https URLs initially.

>> It's not quite clear what you want:
>>
>> (a) ftp://address@hidden/%2Ffoo must have the standard meaning, or
>> (b) ftp://address@hidden//foo must have the standard meaning (ie, same as
>>     ftp://address@hidden/foo), or
>> (c) both.
>>
>> I agree on (a).  But for (b) I'd say the added convenience outweighs
>> the slight incompatibility with the standard.
>
> (a) must be supported (any legal URL should work).
> (b) MAY be supported - improvements are welcomed.

Okay.  It seems that ftp://address@hidden//foo is an illegal URL, so I can
assign any meaning to it that I like.  Hence, I'll define it to mean
the same thing as ftp://address@hidden/%2Ffoo.

Do you object?

>> (And Tramp is incompatible with the standard anyway, since it mostly
>> supports URL schemes like ssh, scp, su, smb, and rsync, which are not
>> standardized.)
>
> If there is no standard - there is no incompatibility.
> If there will be standard for any of these methods - it should be
> supported

Yes.

Though I am afraid that there might be a standard which defines some
completely useless meaning to these URLs from Tramp's point of view.
For example, if there is ever a standard that says that
ssh://address@hidden/ should open a terminal window, then Tramp can't
meaningfully support it.  (Tramp will show a dired buffer of the home
dir of that user on that host instead.)

> (note that the ftp standard is NOT supported).

The ftp standard is not supported by whom?

Tramp does not currently use URL-like syntax, but it does support ftp
(on Emacs, via Ange-FTP).
--
file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)