Re: Procedure for changing the FAQ

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Procedure for changing the FAQ
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 23:06:39 +0300

> From: Glenn Morris <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 19:37:57 +0100
>
> But at the top of the current FAQ it says:
>
>     If you have any suggestions or questions, please contact the FAQ
>     maintainers <address@hidden>.
>
> I guess that should be changed to M-x report-emacs-bug for
> suggestions

Indeed.  It's been a long time since the FAQ started to be maintained
by the Emacs project per se, so I guess it's time to change that line.

> What's the best way to get changes made to
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/? One of the FAQ links is
> out-of-date. Is mailing address@hidden the best thing?

The right way is to modify that page via CVS.  gnu.org sysadmins will
need to set you up for write access to that part of the GNU CVS.

> Similarly for updating the text version
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-faq.text

Same answer.

> What's the best way to make plain text from Texinfo?

Use "makeinfo --no-headers --output=emacs-faq.text".

> Should a FAQ be posted to gnu.emacs.help on a regular basis? I know a
> lot of newsgroups that regularly post FAQ lists.

I think the Emacs FAQ is way too large for this.  (Reuven Lerner used
to post the FAQ regularly in several parts, but I always found that to
be annoying.)