Re: Procedure for changing the FAQ

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Procedure for changing the FAQ
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 23:02:23 +0300

> From: Frank Schmitt <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 16:08:25 +0200
>
> I partly disagree, partly agree. First of all, the main documentation
> is huge and the answers to the questions especially newbies have are
> often in sections where they wouldn't expect them.

That's what the indexing is for, and the `i' command inside Info.  We
should educate users to use that much more than they do, and we should
strive to make our indexing even better.

> Therefor a FAQ should explain all major concepts

I disagree: I think explaining major concepts is something the FAQ
should _not_ do; they are already explained in the manual.

Yes, I know many computer users are used to look in the FAQ before
they look in the manual, but I think we should convince Emacs users
that's not the right way of looking something up in the docs.