Re: Procedure for changing the FAQ

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Procedure for changing the FAQ
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 09:46:13 +0200

> Mail setup already has its own manual, added recently to the CVS.  As
> for indentation, that part of the manual was completely rewritten by
> Richard some time ago, with the explicit purpose of making it more
> clear, so perhaps you could take a look at it and see what else needs
> to be improved there.

Ah, indeed.  The new chapter on indentation looks quite different.  I
like it.

I suggest to mention the different alternatives more clearly, though.
Take tab-to-tab-stop as an example.  It is mentioned on the first page
(in (emacs)Indentation), but not explained there.  It's then explained
in detail in the tab stops section (in (emacs)Tab Stops).

WIBNI there was a summary that said that there are three (four if you
count self-insert-command) different methods available, to explain
when and why they are used, and then to explain each in detail, as is
done now?  (The methods are tab-to-tab-stop, indent-relative, and
syntax-driven indentation.)

The explanation on syntax-driven indentation should mention
customizability in a prominent place.  I think it is important to say
that because people often shy away from it just because Emacs
"indents wrong" in the default setting.  It should also give pointers
to explanations on configuring syntax-driven indentation for some
popular modes (at least a pointer to (ccmode)Customizing Indentation).

Ok to fix?
--
file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)