[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Cyrillic vs UTF-8
Re: Cyrillic vs UTF-8
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 18:18:41 +0900 (JST)
SEMI/1.14.3 (Ushinoya) FLIM/1.14.2 (Yagi-Nishiguchi) APEL/10.2 Emacs/21.2.92 (sparc-sun-solaris2.6) MULE/5.0 (SAKAKI)
In article <address@hidden>, Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:
> Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
>> Unfortunately, the current Emacs doesn't have a facility to
>> detect UTF-8 byte sequence. So, if we put UTF-8 the higher
>> priority, all files are detected as UTF-8. :-(
> I see. Is this very difficult to solve, or why hasn't it? The
> algorithm to detect UTF-8 is not that complicated.
Ooops, I'm very sorry that I was wrong. The current Emacs
contains a builtin utf-8 and utf-16 (with BOM) detectors.
So, putting UTF-8 the higher priority should have no
Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:
> It seems binary is preferred over utf-8 and utf-16-* in
> coding-category-list. This seems extremely conservative. I guess it
> means UTF-8 can never be autodetected by default?
> That certainly seems undesirable. Unless there is a specific reason
> why it needs to be this way, I agree with you that we should raise
> the priority of utf-8 and utf-16.
We can raise the priority of utf-16-le-with-signature and
utf-16-be-with-signature, but can't raise the priority of
utf-16-le, utf-16-be, utf-16 because it's impossible to
distinguish them from binary data.
So, I've just installed these changes.
2003-04-28 Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
* international/mule-cmds.el (reset-language-environment): Raise
the priority of mule-utf-8, mule-utf-16-be-with-signature and
* international/mule-conf.el: Set coding-category-utf-16-be to
mule-utf-16-be-with-signature, coding-category-utf-16-le to
mule-utf-16-le-with-signature. Raise the priority of
coding-category-utf-8, coding-category-utf-16-be, and
- Cyrillic vs UTF-8, Simon Josefsson, 2003/04/25
- Re: Cyrillic vs UTF-8, Richard Stallman, 2003/04/28
- Re: Cyrillic vs UTF-8, Richard Stallman, 2003/04/26
- Re: Cyrillic vs UTF-8, Simon Josefsson, 2003/04/26
- Re: Cyrillic vs UTF-8, Stefan Monnier, 2003/04/28
- Re: Cyrillic vs UTF-8, Simon Josefsson, 2003/04/28
- Re: Cyrillic vs UTF-8, Stefan Monnier, 2003/04/29
- Re: Cyrillic vs UTF-8, Simon Josefsson, 2003/04/29