wrong function name for `update-autoloads-from-directories'

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: wrong function name for `update-autoloads-from-directories'
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 15:21:07 +0000 (UTC)

Today's CVS snapshot, Fri, 2003 May  2  12:11 UTC

The name is `update-autoloads-from-directories' not
`update-directory-autoloads'

The emacs/lispref/loading.texi file says:

    @kbd{M-x update-directory-autoloads} is even more powerful; it updates
    autoloads for all files in the current directory.

but the name of the command is:

    update-autoloads-from-directories

(To see this in Info, see (elisp)Autoload )
Its function definition is in   emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/autoload.el

Moreover, the documumention for the
`update-autoloads-from-directories' command is somewhat misleading.
It says:

 Update loaddefs.el with all the current autoloads from DIRS, and no old ones.
 This uses `update-file-autoloads' (which see) do its work.

As far as I can see, it would be useful to add:

    When called interactively, DIRS must be the name of a single
    directory; when evaluated as an expression, DIRS may be the names
    of several directories, each a string.

    The function does NOT recursively descend into directories below
    the directory named.

Because autoloading is so important, I don't want to make any change
myself, lest I break Emacs.

It looks to me that the command name in emacs/lispref/loading.texi
should be changed.  However, I am not so sure whether the
documumention for the function definition needs to be changed or
whether my experiments, which led to those comments, are any good.

    http://www.teak.cc                             address@hidden