Re: New function `emacs-version>='

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: New function `emacs-version>='
Date: Sun, 04 May 2003 21:15:28 +0200

On Sun, 04 May 2003 01:08:46 +0900, "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>

> Isn't one enough?  :-)

Yeah, it is, for some definition of enough :-)

> The XEmacs Review practice wrt to emacs-version>= is to query the
> patch author if a feature test couldn't be used instead.  About half
> the time in my experience the author makes a reasonable case (eg, if a
> package depends on multiple features that all came available with a
> certain version).

Wouldn't, in that case, be enough to test for just *one* of these
multiple features?

> I like Stefan's idea though; I think I'm going to implement it.  It
> should sufficiently annoy people that they'll book up on Ben's new
> suite of warning control APIs, too.  :-)

But, honestly: I'm not deadly opposed to emacs-version>=, it's just I
think most of the time it's the wrong test. Adding the function amounts
to encouraging its use, unless Stefan's idea (or any strong variant) is
also implemented.