Re: Strange behaviour with dired and UTF8

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Strange behaviour with dired and UTF8
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 17:49:56 +0200

As far as I know, there's no system that allows a coding
system that does many-to-one decoding for filenames.  So, we
don't have to care such a case.

I don't understand what you mean here.  We must be talking about
different things.

Say I have two files, one in UTF-8 and one in latin-1.  Emacs has only
one coding system for file names, say it is latin-1.

Now, since Emacs only has one coding system, it assumes there is
a one-to-one correspondence between file names and encodings.
Clearly this is not the case.  In this case there are two separate
mappings to map from display string to original file name.  That is
what I mean with many-to-one.

        Jan D.