Re: Suggestion for hl-line.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Suggestion for hl-line.el
Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 10:48:49 -0400

> Do you want that changing hl-line-sticky takes effect immediately, or
> the next time the mode is turned on?  The first case would require an
> unhighlight function on pre-command-hook whenever hl-line-mode is
> turned on.  Just in case sticky is set to t.  The second case can, in
> case hl-line-sticky is t, do without an unhighlight function on
> pre-command-hook, which should be faster.

It's up to you.  If I were you I'd ask the user to re-exec hl-line-mode
for a new value of hl-line-sticky to take effect.

> > Better yet: make the buffer-local mode sticky, but the global mode
> > non-sticky.
> Do you like to have this behavior instead of a hl-line-sticky variable
> (easier), or in addition to such a variable (more difficult)?

Probably "instead".  But here again it's up to you.

> The global mode is currently defined in terms of the local mode
> (courtesy of easy-mmode-define-global-mode).  I don't easily see how a
> non-sticky global mode can piggyback on a sticky local mode like that,
> so it probably needs to be implemented directly.

I think the global mode should be implemented directly, using the global
part of post/pre-command-hook.  But guess what.... it's up to you ;-)

        Stefan