Re: Any idea about what makes Emacs slow reading on pipes?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Any idea about what makes Emacs slow reading on pipes?
Date: 18 May 2003 17:36:15 +0200

address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> address@hidden (David Kastrup) writes:
> > It pretty obviously does.  Here is a test: start an xterm.  Then run
> >
> > od -v /dev/zero|dd obs=1
> >
> > in it.  Then, in some other shell window, type
> >
> > while true;do :; done
> Interestingly enough, I can't observe this effect.  At least, the
> output scrolls by really fast in both cases, and maybe I just can't
> see the difference between two really fast speeds...

Interestingly enough, I can't reliably reproduce this effect either.
Hilarious.  Maybe it has something to do with what xterms I started as
background processes (different nicety?).  Oh, if I have a block
cursor blinking in yet another window, this seems to help.  Crazy.

> I'm running Linux 2.4.20 on a 2GHz Celeron.  I think that means I
> don't have Hyperthreading and therefore just one CPU.

Perhaps your CPU is to fast.

> I've now looked again on another machine (2GHz Mobile Pentium 4, same
> kernel), and I can see the leading digits couting, and they count at
> the same speed regardless of the while loop.

Well, having just half the computing power available at least should
not leave you with the same speed, should it?