Re: MML charset tag regression

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: MML charset tag regression
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 21:21:39 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:
>     (1) Modify selection_data_to_lisp_data (in xselect.c) to
>       simply return a unibyte string generated from selection
>       data while putting text property `foreign-selection'
>       (value is a symbol of type).  This property is to
>       distinguish it from the return string of
>       x_get_local_selection.  This property is also used to
>       decode it properly.

> Would it work to return a cons cell (STRING . CODING-SYSTEM)?
> That is a little cleaner, I think, than using a text property.

It works if (STRING . RETURN-TYPE) is returned.  But, can we
also change x-get-selection to return that cons?  In my
code, x-selection-value (in x-win.el) calls x-get-selection,
and check if or not the returned string is from the locale
selection by the existence of that text property.
x-selection-value have to know that to suppress another try
with different request-type if the string is from local
selection.

If we can't change x-get-selection, x-get-selection anyway
have to add that text property.  In that case, I think it is
better that x-get-selection-internal itself returns a string
with that text property instead of a cons.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden