Re: MML charset tag regression

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: MML charset tag regression
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 21:14:21 +0200

"Jan D." <address@hidden> writes:

If UTF8_STRING is the recommended thing to use,

Recommended by who, though?  As far as I know, it's registered for X,
but that's all.  Does anything other than recent Xfree86 releases even
support it?

The free desktop specifications (www.freedesktop.org). The X server does
not have to support a new selection type.  It is all transparent to the
server, only the clients need to interoperate.  The core Xlib does not
have to support it either. Clients can freely invent new selection types
without any modification to X servers or its libraries.

I guess things like xterm in XFree86 is modified to support UTF8_STRING,
and that is what is meant by "support".

        Jan D.