Re: Idea for determining what users use

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Idea for determining what users use
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 00:06:19 -0500 (CDT)

What about the following alternative:

When the user uses an obsoleted feature, we print a message in the
echo area, like now.  In some situations, some of which I pointed out
before, the user will never notice that message.  However, we also
copy the name of the feature in a file specially dedicated for that
purpose, .obsolete_features_used or whatever.  That file is in a
special major mode.  The user puts point on one of the features and
then has commands allowing to view our reasons for obsoleting the
feature, sending mail complaining about the feature being obsoleted,
in a specially prepared mail buffer, and so on.  There also is a
command for "tracking" the feature, after which the user gets notified
more emphatically when he uses the feature (what that means exactly
could be discussed).  Of course there also is a command for turning
tracking off.  That way there never is any inconvenience to the user,
no buffers popping up, no minibuffer questions nothing, unless the
user decides that it is worth the trouble.  The user could also
decide to track all obsolete features.

Most of the time, the user will realize that the problem is in .emacs.
He can then remove the line from .emacs and delete the feature from
the file, or complain.

We could also provide a command that produces a buffer with all
obsoleted features, whether ever used by the user or not, in the same
major mode.

Of course, all of this only matters if we really want to actually remove
obsolete stuff.  Otherwise, it does not seem worth the trouble, but
neither do the alternatives in that case.

Sincerely,

Luc.