Re: Idea for determining what users use

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Idea for determining what users use
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 04:53:08 -0400

    I will address the above issue below, but, first of all, is the intent
    to just have a head-count, nothing else, or is the intent to get
    feedback?  The feature I propose is designed to get feedback from the
    user.  It would not be that useful for a mere head-count.

For this situation--a feature that we are thinking of eliminating--my
idea was to get a head count.  However, we could invite the user
to add explanatory material to the message before sending it.

By the way, we have indeed eliminated features in the past.  We
eliminated a number of features in 21.1.  Sometimes they are features
of a specific functions, rather than separate files.

    Popping up a non-selected buffer with a clickable field to mail, would
    in my opinion be less intrusive, because it allows the user to, say at
    least finish typing his current thoughts before worrying about the
    question.  We could mess up the user's window-configuration, but maybe
    the function could save and offer to restore that configuration.

That seems like a good idea.  It fits naturally with the Emacs facilities
for sending a message.  And it will be clear that nothing will be sent
unless the user types C-c C-c.