Re: INSTALL-CVS

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: INSTALL-CVS
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 10:26:06 -0700

>> This is counter-productive, because then if you rerun configure when the
>> info files are out-of-date they won't be rebuilt.

Is there a configure output file that could be checked for existence
(config.log) and don't do the 'touch' in  that case?

> Agreed.

> I think we should simply add `man' to the default target and live
> with it.  If that means that `makeinfo' is sometimes called when a
> user installs Emacs, what's the big deal ?  If the problem is that
> the user might not have a working `makeinfo', how about running it
> with a leading "-" so that an error from `makeinfo' is ignored by
> make ?

Ignoring the error in 'man' would cause 'install-man' to fail.
Perhaps configure should test for a working 'makeinfo' (if it doesn't
already) and default to (say) '/bin/true' if no working makeinfo is
found?

--
David Masterson                David DOT Masterson AT synopsys DOT com
Sr. R&D Engineer               Synopsys, Inc.