Re: `set-fontset-font' and ascii characters

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: `set-fontset-font' and ascii characters
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 22:47:50 -0400

> Currently, for a character of ASCII and Latin-1, emacs
> prefers a face family, and for the other chars, emacs
> prefers a fontset family.  It's a very kludgy way, and
> should be fixed somehow, but currently I don't have a time
> to think about it and I don't remember now why the code is
> like that.  :-(

IIRC, it had to do with the fact that if the face says `courier'
and the fontset info specifies `symbols', the fontset info
should take precedence (it's when the font-registry info is not
enough to map charsets to fonts and needs to be supplemented
with font-family info).
But on the other hand, if your Emacs.font says "-misc-fixed-blabla",
the `misc-fixed' info coming from your fontset should not supercede
the `helvetica' info provided by `variable-pitch' face (for example).

        Stefan