Re: recent emacs font problems?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: recent emacs font problems?
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 10:03:53 -0400

    Thank you.  However, I still can't understand how things are supposed to
    work.  In my .Xdefaults I set default font to courier-14.  Now if I
    do (set-face-attribute 'default nil :family "fixed"), shall new frames
    get courier-14 or fixed-14?

The set-face-attribute call should certainly override the X resource.
So the family must be "fixed".

      Currently they get fixed-14 but with the
    font metrics of courier-14,

I am not completely sure what that means.  Do you mean that Emacs
chooses the font fixed-14 but uses some data taken from the wrong
font?  That is clearly a bug.  Whichever font is chosen, Emacs
should use it consistently.

    If I select courier 12 from the shift-down-1 menu, shall I get
    courier-12
    or fixed-12?  Currently I get fixed-12 (with courier-12 font metrics).

This should select courier 12, the font that you chose.