Re: cannot encode a buffer??

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: cannot encode a buffer??
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 12:52:36 +0100

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

I agree that the preferences of those who would rather that Emacs keep
the different flavors of Han different should be respected.  FWIW, I'd
default `utf-translate-cjk-mode' to on (to encourage development of a
Unicode-based way to disambiguate Unihan), but that does risk a lot of
annoyance for Asian polyglots.

I think the reason it is not on by default is not to avoid disagreement
over whether unification should happen (as unification can easily be avoided by not saving as utf-*), but to save memory.

There was talk about a month ago of automatically loading it when
required, but AFAIK this has not been implemented yet.