Re: narrow-to-here-document

From: Alan Shutko
Subject: Re: narrow-to-here-document
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 08:00:14 -0500

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> AFAIR, it does not narrow, but merely switches major modes.  As an
> example, it won't be useful for a shell script as a here document in
> a shell script.

Actually, it doesn't just switch major modes, it does a lot of work
putting variables on text properties so that it can try to get
everything right.  It is useful for here documents, although I don't
know why it would be less useful for a shell script as a here
document in a shell script.

> And indentation and stuff will look beyond the beginning of the
> language area.

This is a problem.  For most modes it doesn't matter, but for CC mode
it can cause weirdness.  That's an ongoing problem, but narrowing
doesn't help, since CC mode widens before it parses the buffer.

--
Alan Shutko <address@hidden> - I am the rocks.
Looking for a software developer in St. Louis? http://web.springies.com/~ats/