Re: etc/TODO:Horizontal scrollbar

From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Subject: Re: etc/TODO:Horizontal scrollbar
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 10:03:40 +0530

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 11:48:21 -0400, "Richard Stallman" <address@hidden>
said:
>     On a character-only display, you will need a separate mode line,
>     since you cannot manipulate bits.
>
> We don't support vertical scroll bars on character-only displays, so I
> think we may as well not support horizontal scrollbars there either.

I now get a fair idea regarding the way I should proceed. I plan to do
the following things.

1. I will try to work only on W2K port (maybe using Win32 API support if
needed)
2. Later spend time on using the GNU Emacs vertical scrolling methods
which is well ported
3. I will scroll based on pixels and NOT on charecters (to avoid problems
in variable width chars)
    We could try to handle charecter based scrolling later.
4. I will not concentrate on the THUMB display etc for the first shot I
take but will refine as I progress.
5. I guess using the MODELINE is ruled out as all MOUSE buttons are
bound. We could have an area on the modeline where we bind it to
scrolling though. I will send an image for those interested with the
horizontal scroll-bar under the minibuffer. It looks like the minibuffer
is sandwiched between the modeline and the horizontal scroll-bar. Just
imagine when you type a long line in the modeline, the horizontal
scroll-bar's THUMB is moving/scrolling. It is quite distracting. This is
my opinion though.

Once I get a basic version ready (I do not have CVS as I am behind a
proxy-firewall), I will send the related files (tared and gziped) to
interested developers on MS Windows to try it and give me a feedback.
This is my first development in GNU Emacs, I need plenty of help when it
comes to redisplay, paning/(horizontally moving) the buffer contents.

with best regards,
dhruva
--
Dhruva Krishnamurthy