Re: --without-xim is ignored.

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: --without-xim is ignored.
Date: 12 Jul 2003 02:39:19 +0200

>     In any case, IMHO, fiddling with X resources isn't for the average user.
>
>     A compile time option is much easier to describe and understand IMO...
>
> On the contrary, a compile time option is useless for the ordinary
> user, but setting a flag in various ways is easy.  We document
> many Lisp variables and env vars in the Emacs manual.

But this is neiher a lisp var or env var...

What other "flags" do we currently have in Emacs which

a) could be controlled via a lisp variable or function, but
b) can only be controlled via X resources, and
c) cannot be turned on again, once it has been turned off.

In my experience, very few users are familiar with X resources.
So at least we should include an example how to do this at the
proper place in PROBLEMS, e.g.

For example, you can use the option ``-xrm "useXIM: false"'' when
you start emacs.