Re: emacs floating point error during dump?

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: emacs floating point error during dump?
Date: 13 Jul 2003 19:58:15 -0400

> * In message <address@hidden>
> * On the subject of "Re: emacs floating point error during dump? "
> * Sent on Sun, 13 Jul 2003 19:06:31 -0400
> * Honorable "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:
>
> - modifying an elisp macro will not automatically force a rebuild of
>   all the .el files that make use of it.

1. all *.elc should depend on the dumped few files like subr.el.

2. if a foo.el uses a macro defined in bar.el, then it should (require
   'bar) and a simple grep+sed cen generate the dependency.  I did
   something similar for a Commol Lisp package 5 years ago (before
   switching to defsystem), it worked just fine.

> - changing from `make' to `make CFLAGS=-DENABLE_CHECKING' does not
>   force recompilation of the .o files.

This is not a dependency issue.
If you type a make argument, you can as well type "make clean", right?

> - modifying `Makefile.in' will correctly cause rebuilding of
>   `Makefile' but will fail to reconstruct the targets that the
>   Makefile describes.

I am afraid you lost me here.
Do you mean that every target should depend on the Makefile?
If yes, I am sure you can easily add Makefile to each target line.

> - upgrading libc will not automatically cause `configure' to be rerun.

this should not be too hard to fix, I guess:

config.status: ${srcdir}/configure /lib/libc.a
        ./config.status --recheck

[of course the location and the name of libc will have to be somehow
determined...]

but how often do you upgrade libc?

> - deinstalling libpng does not automatically cause `configure' to be
> rerun.

again, this can probably be fixed...

The bottom line on these last two items is that host system
dependencies are probably less important than the Emacs
interdependencies because the host system can be presumed to be more
stable than the Emacs development tree.

<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.palestine-central.com/links.html>
If you think big enough, you'll never have to do it.