utf-translate-cjk-mode & CJK unicode questions

From: Miles Bader
Subject: utf-translate-cjk-mode & CJK unicode questions
Date: 28 Jul 2003 14:42:43 +0900

Hi,

CJK utf-8 seems to now work great in emacs if utf-translate-cjk-mode is
turned on, but it's turned off by default.

I understand why it's turned off by default, but perhaps it ought to be
turned on if one enters emacs with something like:

   LANG=ja_JP.utf-8 emacs -q

If I do that, BTW, I'd expect to get a Japanese language environment,
with some sort of `prefer unicode' setting, but instead I get the
`UTF-8' languange environment, which doesn't seem as useful.  Is that
intended?

Thanks,

-Miles
--
`...the Soviet Union was sliding in to an economic collapse so comprehensive
 that in the end its factories produced not goods but bads: finished products